Olympics Live Online

Tuesday, December 20, 2005

NarHia ... The Shopping, The Packing and The Wardrobe

Frankly, I love shopping. I like being able to exchange pieces of paper with faces of dead people for new shirts and pants. But we know that men and women shop differently. Men know exactly what they want and where to get it. They zoom in to the store and in less than 5 minutes, they are out with the shopping bags and checking the phone for the latest soccer results.

But women, they have to look at every item, check the colours, look at the seams, examine the zipper, feel the buttons, place in under the light, shake it, knock it, crease it, smell it. Then they always have to hold that dress and stand behind it and then check out the mirror image. "Oh, that's how I look if I go to the office with the hanger round my neck ...... " . If the mirror counterpart looks good, they will then go into the fitting room and try out the actual piece. And when the final stage of testing is completed, they MAY consider buying it !!? Why, because they run through another set of QC and ISO 9000 questions before buying!!! Does it match my bag, what accessories goes with it, does it match my top, can I wear it to my boyfriend's party, does it match my husband's shoes, does my neighbour have the same dress, will it be cheaper if I buy it later etc .

Men don't go through all this. Men will not examine a washing machine, open up the cover, check out the mirror and see how he looks when he throws in the laundry and soap. The women's shopping experience is very different from the men, and therefore extremely hard to understand, it's like asking why men would look at any woman in bikini ... there's no one answer to that.

But the shopping enthusiasm drops to a zero when I reach home. I hate the cutting of labels and price tags and removing of the countless needles that hold the shirt in the plastic wrapper. Then you have to wash it first, in case those people at the shirt factory wore it to a party first before selling it to you. For me, I have to figure out where to hang up the new piece of clothing. If you have a wardrobe like mine, you will have a headache after every shopping session. It looks like a museum of clothing because I have shirts dating back to at least 20 years ago. Not that I am still wearing them, but I can't bear to throw them away because I have a great respect for cotton. So I have to squeeze the the clothes together, very much like the commuters in the train during peak morning hours, you open the doors and everythings falls out.

So here are some pictures of my wardrobe. Hope nobody pukes.